Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Combatting Loneliness

I missed the husbands phone call last night. I had gone running with a group at a local shoe store, and had gotten home too late to speak to him. I didn't hear my phone ring. I hate it when that happens. When he's gone that tends to be the highlight of my day. I tend to not sleep well until I hear from him just because I like to know how his day went and that he made it home safe.

It's a hard life being the wife of someone gone all the time. I'm an person who likes structure and routine. With a schedule that changes by day and minute that makes the adjustment difficult. I like knowing when he's going to be home so we can plan what we're going to do and not knowing drives me up a wall. I guess you could say that the type A side kicks in. I manage with the help of friends to inject some spontaneity into the hum drum of when he's gone. I have to say that without them to keep things interesting, I would be losing my marbles.

Friends...that is the saving grace of this job. Married friends are an even bigger asset. They tend to support the fact that you're part of a duo and have some empathy about being apart for weeks at a time. I've been blessed with some very good friends and thankfully they take me under their wing. They're awesome they invite me over for dinner and out to happy hour. I can honestly say that they help bring a stability to this life.

No comments:

Post a Comment